Carrying portable chairs to the campsite is a common understanding but it needs attention when you’re tall and bulky. Not every chair is designed to bear heavy weight or can accommodate tall body posture. So, if you’re tall, bulky, or both, it’s important to do some homework and find the best heavy-duty camping chair for yourself. Whether it is just about sitting around the fire and eating roasted marshmallows, or reading a book under open skies in nature, having the right chair makes all the difference. Since I’m not a tall person yet a bit bulky though, I still had to look into options and try out a variety of chairs to find the best possible ones for myself. As a frequent camper, I have experimented with many different types and styles of camping chairs but, in this blog, I have reviewed the best ones for you.
Types of Camping Chairs
Before I move onto the best variants that I have tried and tested throughout my camping experience, I want to shed some light on some of the main and most common types of camping chairs that you will find in the market. No matter how stylish, cosy, or lucrative one looks, you’ll still have to check which one suits your taste, and match your desires. Since each variant offers different features, I would suggest you look into the details and see what exactly would suit you before making any purchase.
- Portable Camping Chairs: These are lightweight, easy to carry portable camp chairs, and are similar to traditional camping chairs. However, these are generally low height and less sturdy for heavyweight individuals. This type is often preferred by campers who like stretching their legs while sitting close to the ground. Thus, this type may not suit tall people as getting out could be hard at times.
- Traditional Camping Chairs: It is one of the most common types of camping chairs that are used across the world. These are four-legged, sturdy, easy to carry portable camp chairs, built to suit people with common weight and height. If a person is slim and tall, this would be a great fit for them. Interestingly, people who are less conscious of digging deep into portable camping gears like suitable sleeping bags for the bad back or purpose-built camping chairs end up buying traditional camping chairs for most of their outdoor expeditions.
- Hybrid Camping Chairs: These are portable, multi-functional chairs with lots of features involved in the design. They are often equipped with coffee or glass holders, a side armrest, and a writing board where you can easily manage to write or use a laptop without any hassle. Some of the hybrid chairs are heavier and bulkier so check how much weight and space you could manage to carry it to the campsite. Also, if you look at the price comparison, hybrid chairs are often expensive as compared to the other two kinds.
- Director-styled Camping Chairs: These are very close to the seats you see on the shoot set for directors. A crossed-legs sturdy frame, straight back, firmly padded armrests, and rugged fabric are some of the key features that you would visibly see in any director-styled camping chairs. These chairs are portable and fold flat without any hassle.
- Scoop Camping Chairs: These lightweight chairs are casually designed with no firm back or seat. A person can easily lay down and curl up into it for a quick short nap. However, it is not a great pick for tall and big guys.
- Recliner Chairs: These are a modern addition to the camping chair family with a great reclining feature attached to them. One can play around the choice of sitting straight or laying out while reclining to its full length. While it is fully padded from all sides, it has a built-in pillow slip attached at the head side. Reclining camping chairs are also thought to be the best camping chair with a footrest. You can straighten up your legs with a single push of a button.
- Low Height Camping Chairs: These are less tippy than any regular camping chair and are great for people who want to stay close to the ground while stretching their legs out. It sits well on soft ground, on a sandy base, or even on an uneven base. But let me remind you, this kind is not very comfortable for bulky or tall guys.
- Suspended Camping Chairs: These are often high priced yet very cool at service. The chair hangs down, let you suspend and swing freely while the base remains stable at the ground.
Top 10 Camping Chair for Big Guys Comparison
This review includes the 10 best camping chairs for tall and big guys that I have personally used so far. It reviews may or may not resonate with all but everything mentioned is coming out of my experience and product understanding.
1. ALPS Mountaineering King Kong Chair
This foldable King Kong Chair by Alps Mountaineering is a treat for a bit over-sized and tall camper. It makes them feel like a king sitting in the chair for all the right reasons. Its supportive back and a comfortable seat height of 18 inches make you sit upright in the best posture with feet sitting comfortably on the ground. Its powder-coated steel frame and roomy dimensions like 38″ W x 20″ D x 38″ H give enough space for an obese person to relax freely and not squeeze in tightly, thus, it can easily bear the weight of over 800 lbs. The 600D polyester fabric offers great support to the back and lower abdomen while keeping it airy and breathable.
The best part is that it comes equipped with adjustable armrests, a cup holder, and side storage pockets for you to do multiple things while sitting in a chair. It comes in a variety of colors so you get the freedom to co-match it with your other camping gears. For further convenience, the brand has packaged it in a great shoulder bag that you can easily carry around without any hassle.
- Weight: 12.5 Pounds.
- Dimensions: 38 x 20 x 38 inches.
- Material: Steel.
- Solid and sturdy construction.
- Easily accommodates larger individuals.
- Durable fabric.
- Extra storage pockets and cupholders.
- Fully adjustable armrests.
- Heavy to carry around.
- Sits a bit low in the back.
2. Kijaro Dual Lock Portable Camping and Sports Chair
Kijaro Dual Lock Portable Camping Chair is one of the finest chairs you will witness. As much as it looks slim and sleek, it is equally strong and sturdy in its performance while offering the most composed posture to the body. Its spacious structure of 26 x 35.4 x 45.7 inches doesn’t allow you to sag or sink in while sitting on it, and keeps the body straight and firm in its best shape. With its weight of just 9.4 lbs., it can bear around 300 pounds of the body weight. It’s durable diamond ripstop polyester, and breathable mesh on the seatback keeps you airy and sweat-free throughout the use. Thus, if you’re looking for the best ultralight camping chair, Kijaro should be your go-to!
The dual lock system is purposefully designed to offer maximum stability during use and quick folding for easy transportation. That’s not it, this remarkable chair is equipped with 2 cup holders, an organizer with a zipper and mesh pockets, and a carry strap attached to the chair. Also, when it comes to styling up your camping gears with Kijaro, it offers a variety of ten different colors to choose from. It comes nicely packed in a strong carry bag that you can lift it on your shoulders and carry around wherever you like. So, whether you want to use it at the campsite, while tailgating or in your backyard, enjoy the premium seating experience with Kijaro.
- Weight: 9.4 Pounds.
- Dimensions: 26 x 35.4 x 45.7 inches.
- Material: Metal.
- Great with tall seat height for tall guys.
- Offers great value for money.
- Breathable mesh back.
- Ideal for big and tall guys.
- Easy to use locking mechanism.
- Has to strap for carrying without a bag.
- Available in 9 vibrant colors.
- Super light in weight.
- The front crossbar may hurt the tall legs.
3. Timber Ridge Zero Gravity Chair Oversized Recliner
When I first saw ‘zero gravity’ mentioned on the product, I was curious to dig deeper into the product. And as soon as I unfolded the details of this product, I was blown away by its comfort and overall multi-functional performance in the outdoors. With its sturdy steel tube frame and durable polyester fabric, it can bear around 600 lbs. and accommodate a length of about 72 inches when fully reclined.
The patented, built-in easy locking levers allow you to lock the chair to any position from upright to fully laid-back, allowing it to effortlessly behave like a chair as well as a recliner equipped with a glass holder, arm support with a folding side table at one of its sides. Its oversized dimension of 43.5 x20 x21.5 inches allows a tall and obese person to sit or lay down freely without any restriction.
So, whether you want to sit straight or recline to read a book, this will not fail to make you feel special in the outdoors. Unlike many other camping chairs, its entire seating is fully padded and has a removable pillow for both head and lumbar support. So, whether you want to relax at the campsite, lay-down in your patio, balcony, or backyard, Tiber Ridge has everything that you could demand in a camp chair for tall people.
Although it is a bit expensive yet it comes with a one-year warranty which ensures that your money is safe and you can replace the product or reimburse it if there’s any manufacturing defects or problem.
- Weight: 23.2 Pounds.
- Dimensions: 21.5 x 20 x 29.5 inches.
- Material: Metal & Fabric.
- Incredibly comfortable.
- Huge capacity.
- Easy to use.
- Very strong and reliable.
- Solid side table.
- Have a fully padded footrest.
- A good one-year warranty.
- Large when packed.
- A bit heavy to be lifted at the back.
4. Coleman Big-N-Tall Quad Camping Chair
When it comes to ‘Çoleman’ I don’t give any thought to the product’s quality or features because the brand name speaks for itself. I’ve been their regular customer in almost all their camping gear categories. But this time it was a bit different, I was looking for a comfortable camp chair for tall guys. I picked up Coleman Big-N-Tall Quad Camping chair and I thoroughly loved the experience. Its oversized seat of 24 inches wide and 19 inches high easily accommodates a large person with big legs while making the feet comfortably touch the ground. There are two exciting features that many other camp chairs do not offer – one is the water-resistant cell port which keeps the cellphone dry and protected from falling around and the other one is the seat drainage system which drains down the collected water during the rain. The keeps your bottom and back airy and sweat-free. With its strong rugged fabric and sturdy steel frame, it can support a bodyweight of up to 600 lbs. It would have been much better it has more cushioning on the back, the rest is just perfect.
If you are a new customer of Coleman and ambiguous about its quality, durability, or portability, I would suggest you consider its 1-year limited warranty option and try it out without worrying about your money. You would be able to replace the product if it has any manufacturing defect or damage. Also, it comes equipped with a carry bag which makes it super easy for you to carry it anywhere you like. So, whether you’re using it at the campsite, on your patio, or in the backyard, enjoy and relax in a comfortable, roomy chair.
- Weight: 9.9 Pounds.
- Dimensions: 38.19 x 7.87 x 7.09 inches.
- Material: Synthetic.
- Support up to 600 pounds.
- Adjustable arm height for ultimate comfort.
- The steel frame makes it strong and durable.
- Large feet don’t allow it to sink in the sand or any soft ground.
- Built-in heat and water drain design.
- A stable chair for tall and big guys.
- Doesn’t have a headrest.
5. Mossy Oak Heavy Duty Folding Camping Chairs
Mossy Oak foldable camping chair looks very similar to any traditional foldable camp chair but when you dive deep into its detail, you’ll be surprised by the attention to detail it brings into its features. It has a unique built-in 4-can insulated cooler installed with a dual-zippered handle on the left arm, and a solid fabric large cup holder with a metal eyelet drain hole on the right arm. The cooler also makes a great storage pouch for storage. With its steel tubing frame covered with black powder coating, the structure remains sturdy and rust-free throughout the year. The 600D polyester material is used as a seat and back fabric, stitched in double layers for extra padding and comfort and can support up to 400 lbs.
When it comes to its size, weight, and portability, it weighs around 8.5 pounds and folds up quickly within a few seconds. For better transportation, it comes equipped with a drawstring shoulder bag that you can carry easily on your back without any hassle. So, whether you set out for tailgating, hunting, fishing, or camping, Mossy Oak will not disappoint you. The best part is that it comes in three very basic nature colors and easily camouflages with the surroundings.
- Weight: 8.5 Pounds.
- Dimensions: 39 x 7 x 7 inches.
- Material: Textile.
- Versatile equipment and suitable for other occasions as well.
- Very lightweight.
- Easily foldable and can be packed quickly without any hassle.
- Made lightweight for ease when carrying it.
- Comes in three natural colors.
- Sinks a bit low when used by a bulkier person.
6. Guide Gear Oversized Club Camp Chair
Oh, here comes the coziest camp chair that I have tried and tested in my camping experience. With its appealing red and black checkered fabric, extra cushioned, and roomy seating, you can experience all the comfort in one place. To make it even more comfortable, I put a small footstool in front of it to let my feet rest and my back lay in its optimum comfort and convenience. A person can easily curl up and take a quick nap. With its water-resistant, 600-denier polyurethane-coated polyester fabric, sturdy steel built and it can easily bear up to 500 lbs. of weight without any hassle.
One thing that I miss in this chair is the designated glass or cup holder. It has a pocket to put a bottle in it but I don’t find it very convenient. It has another pocket to store small things like keys, ear pods, etc. but you can’t fix anything big in it. Another thing that I feel a bit apprehensive about is its overall size and weight when it is packed. It is comparatively bigger and heavier than others so until you’re riding in a car to your campsite, this won’t be easy on your shoulders. It comes equipped with a storage bag that enables you to carry this chair safely anywhere you like.
- Weight: 18.2 Pounds.
- Dimensions: 42.25 x 14.5 x 13 inches.
- Material: Polyester.
- High-quality chair.
- Great dimensions.
- Very comfortable.
- Very stable.
- Quite long when packed.
- Slightly heavy.
7. KingCamp Heavy Duty Compact Camping Chair
Like its name, KingCamp is a heavy-duty camping chair with lots of support, stability, and room for tall and big guys. It can bear a body weight of up to 300lbs and offer ample space to sit down and rest at 20 inches wide seat. However, when it is packed you can’t predict how big this would turn into and weigh only 11.9 lbs. With its water-resistant, reinforced 600D Oxford fabric and rugged metal frame, it allows you to enjoy, relax and have fun in full confidence. It comes equipped with padded armrests, a cup holder, and a moderately sized side table where you can keep your snacks close to you. The best part is that it doesn’t require any formal assembling or disassembling, it opens up and folds down in a few seconds without any effort.
It has a firm structure which is great if you love sitting upright with a firm body posture. However, it is not best suitable if you want to trek around at the campsite. It doesn’t come along with a storage bag, therefore; it is sometimes hard to store or carry.
- Weight: 11.3 Pounds.
- Dimensions: 23.5 x 23.5 x 41 inches.
- Material: Frame: Steel Tubes, Fabric: 600 D Oxford.
- Stable on any terrain.
- Padded solid armrests.
- Very easy to use.
- Bonus side table.
- Reasonable price.
- No carry bag.
- Not much compact.
8. Coleman Portable Camping Quad Chair with 4-Can Cooler
This particular camping quad chair by Coleman is a bit over-rated. I had extremely high expectations with this particular product by Coleman but it didn’t turn out to be as good as claimed. I tell you why? The package says it is cushioned from the back and the bottom for comfortable seating. However, to me, it is just light padding which doesn’t bring much difference. Frequent travelers like myself who have used a variety of camping chairs can differentiate however starters will love it for its price which is quite reasonable.
The good thing is that it comes with an adjustable armrest functionality which I feel offers a lot of ease and convenience. You can adjust the height of the armrest to your liking. Also, it has a built-in cooler which has space for 4 cans. This allows you to keep your drinks cool and accessible while you enjoy the day. Its sturdy base structure combined with a rugged fabric can easily accommodate tall and big guys with weight up to 300 to 325 lbs. The seat height of 18.1 inches is perfect and allows your feet to naturally rest on the ground. On one side of the chair, you will find a storage pocket that is good enough to keep magazines or any other personal items. The mesh cup holder is a bit flimsy and quite risky with hot drinks but performs well with carrying water bottles, cans, and other regular drinks.
Once packed up, it is compact and easily fits inside the car trunk and since it comes packed in a carry bag, you can take it to places without any hassle.
- Weight: 3.82 Kilograms.
- Dimensions: 37.8 x 6.69 x 6.69 inches.
- Material: Steel.
- Adjustable armrest.
- Comes with a carry bag.
- Can easily accommodate big and tall guys.
- Looks a bit lousy.
9. Earth Executive VIP Tall Directors Chair
If you want to experience how on-set directors feel at a shooting site, this chair will help you experience that exclusivity. This square-shaped camp chair looks solid, sturdy, and fixed and this is why I was quite ambiguous about buying this product for my camping trips. But as soon as I closely looked at its design, functionalities, and structure, I realized that it’s a great product with a variety of extraordinary features like a full-width footrest, padded armrests for optimal comfort, a side table with a cup holder, zippered carry bag and dual side storage pockets for small items. The most unique thing that I noticed is it has a base-structure with eight-point ground contacts and four sidebars to ensure stability and stature. In short, this is one of the best camping chairs with a side table that serves me throughout the year. I work on it while I relax in my garden.
Its lightweight anodized aluminum frame combined with a 600-denier polyester fabric bears the weight of up to 375 lbs. It comes equipped with a black zipper bag which adds class to its solid presidential look.
With a 1-year limited warranty, you have the freedom to test and try the product in every possible way and if there is any manufacturing defect, you can easily replace it with another product.
- Weight: 16 Pounds.
- Dimensions: 45 x 24.7 x 7 inches.
- Material: Aluminum.
- Rock-solid and sturdy structure.
- 1-year limited warranty.
- Comes with a black zipper bag.
- Equipped with a side table.
- Full-width footrest.
- Padded armrests
- A bit heavy for carrying.
- Big in length when folded.
10. Coastrail Outdoor Camping Chair with Lumbar Back Support
Unlike others, Coastrail Outdoor Camping Chair is one of the most versatile camp chairs I have come across. It comes with an adjustable alignment strap, ergonomically designed to offer the best support to your lumbar. The sturdy steel frame along with a high-quality 600D oxford polyester fabric is thoughtfully designed to withhold the weight of up to 400 lbs. It also has two pockets; one on the right side and one at the head side. You can easily store things like keys, mobile phone,s or random small stuff in the side pockets and slip in a small pillow in the head pocket to enjoy a fully gripped cushioning under your head.
With a full-length padded back and seat, my shoulders felt rested along with my back. For further convenience, you will also find a unique cooler bag attached where you can easily store around 3 medium-sized cans. There is a built-in cup holder on the left side for you to enjoy your tea without any hassle. So, whether you want to use it on hunting, fishing, camping, tailgating, patio parties, and in any other outdoor activities, this big size camping chair will not disappoint you. The best part is, as much as it looks bigger in size, it is not that heavy at all. Also, it comes equipped with a smart carrying bag allowing you to take the chair wherever you like without any hassle.
- Weight: 12 Pounds.
- Dimensions: 41.73 x 7.87 x 5.51 inches.
- Material: Oxford.
- Great value for money.
- Fully padded back and seat.
- Ergonomically designed structure for lumber support.
- Very accommodative and comfortable.
- Comes equipped with a carry bag.
- Long when folded.
- Slightly heavy.
Key Features to Consider Before Buying a Camping Chair
Buying a camping chair isn’t a tedious task but it needs some homework if you’re opting to buy the best camping chair for a tall person. Also, if you want to work while camping, you must dig into the features discussed below.
- Chair Structure and Frame: The structure and the framing of a chair say a lot of how much weight and pressure it could bear. Whether it would be comfortable enough or not. Not many people focus on the seat height of the chair but let me tell you, low height chairs become a problem for obese or tall height people, it’s hard to get out of it and it doesn’t allow your feet to rest naturally. Similarly, very high seat chairs can be uncomfortable too. Your feet could hang in the air and would hurt your thighs very right away. So, check if the structure supports weight above 250 lbs. and is of appropriate height for feet to rest comfortably on the ground. Also, check if it offers arm support, have coffee or glass holders, and if it has pockets or a storage bag intact beneath the chair. Not all chairs offer all the features together but it is good to have your eyes on the extra features provided.
- Fabric Material: When it comes to buying a great camping chair, the fabric is one of the key factors that you must check in detail. With a strong structure, the fabric must be also supportive of the heavy bodyweight and movement. Make sure that the fabric used is heavy-duty, waterproof, breathable, and UV-resistant, or else you may feel sweaty and hot at your lower back. With fabric comes stitching quality into consideration too, don’t forget to check if it has double stitching because single stitches sometimes fail to carry weight and may tear off from the stitches. Many of the good quality chairs offer safe padding at the armrest and the lower seat which greatly adds up to the comfort and support needed by the customers.
- Weight and Size: No matter how strong a camping chair is, if it’s not weight or size-friendly, I would not recommend it for camping. A camping chair has to be best at folding down to an appropriate size to be carried out at the back or in hand. Also, the material used within should be lightweight so it doesn’t add weight to the luggage. Powder-coated aluminum structured chairs are strong yet lightweight and are great at bearing heavy weight without being too heavy itself. It folds down easily and remains rust-free in all seasons.
- Pricing and Warranty: Camping chairs come in varying price brackets. However, pricing and warranty work hand in hand. If you’re buying an expensive chair, make sure that the company offers a good 1-year warranty so you can reimburse if there’s any functional defect or if it doesn’t fit your need. Also, if you’re a frequent camper, you would easily average out the cost by its frequent use but if you don’t hang out much where you can use your chair, I would recommend going on the budget-friendly choices available in the market.
The toughest call is to name out the best ones. All of the above mentioned are my picks and I’ve liked them all for one or the other reason. But if I have to precisely name out my priority, I would say Timber Ridge Zero Gravity Chair cum Recliner has been great so far. Excellent pricing, best comfort, and high quality built, there’s nothing that I have regretted about it. I have tried other reclining chairs too but it has come out to be the best reclining camping chair so far. Whether I have to lay down for a quick nap or sit in the sun, it has always been comfortable, composed, and good at the look and feel. There’s only one thing that I would remind you, it takes a lot of space if you set it in your pop-up canopy. My second-best picks are the ALPS Mountaineering King Kong Chair and the KingCamp Heavy Duty Compact Camping Chair. Both of them are very accommodating, stable and offer great comfort and posture. You don’t sink or sag in them. My third great pick is Guide Gear Oversized Club Camp Chair and the Kijaro Dual Lock Portable Camping and Sports Chair. Both of them are excellent picks for their own reasons. I loved being curled up in Guide Gear and thoroughly enjoy Kijaro’s slim and sleek classy look. The rest of them are great picks too. To be honest, I haven’t regretted any of the above-mentioned picks and I still use them regularly without any hassle. If you belong to an older age group, try out the best camping table and chairs that come in pairs. All I would say, read out all the features, functionalities, dimensions, and structure height to finally call it out – your perfect camping chair!